Custer Battlefield Museum Phone: (406) 638-1876

View All Items
    Hardcover Books
    Magazines & Newspapers
    Programs & Pamphlets
    Softcover Books
  Movies & CDs
    Rare Prints

Store Home > Postcards

The Cordwood Monument on Custer Hill 413

Click to enlarge

The "Cordwood Monument" was the first memorial built on Last Stand Hill at the Little Bighorn Battlefield. This structure was set up by a military expedition, sent to the battlefied in 1879 to tend to the graves of the fallen soldiers and to gather up and secure all exposed bones. A large number of horse bones littering the filed were placed inside this wooded pyramid. Two years later, in 1881, this structure was dismantled, the bones inside were buried and the present day granite monument was erected.